Just because I hadn’t done quite enough sewing already this weekend…….. (p.s. I also completed a currently secret gift sewing project)
I have a slightly sad ironing board, it is old, it’s covers are thin and bedraggled looking:
As I had been using it quite a bit (not for ironing any clothes you understand, just for crafting purposes), I decided it was time to fix it up a bit. So, I made a new cover and added some extra padding.
I used the board as a template and drew around it onto wadding:
I then used that as a template for the rest of the cover. I drew a border of 3 inches around the template onto my fabric:
The wadding I then put onto the ironing board, holding it in place with the old cover.
The fabric I then modifed at the iron end, as the place where the iron sits cuts into the edge, so reduced the overlap there to 1 inch. The fabric was overlocked all around, then sewed using zigzag stitch to some 1/4 inch elastic at full stretch so that it will gather around the board underneath, then added an extra bit of elastic at the wide end to help hold it together:
….and it’s done!
p.s. the fabric is some old stuff from my stash (yep! I’m gradually using up the stash!) that I bought from IKEA years ago. It’s kinda wintery really, but I love the colours!