Man it has been toasty warm of late here in good old Blighty! It’s almost like it’s what is that time of year called again? Oh yes… Summer. Which has of course been somewhat unpredictable, rainy, and generally not all that summery for the last few years. Ick.
Now it has returned, or at least for the past few weeks, and I find myself somewhat wrongfooted. I never really prepare for proper summery weather as it rarely occurs when expected, and is soon gone like the wisp of a memory long past….
So, a few weeks back I made a Colette Sorbetto top. It was cute. But as I wore it, I discovered that it didn’t quite fit right and could really do with some modifications. The tip of the bust dart didn’t sit right, it was too high up, and the armholes were a little tight. I decided to try adding an inch or so to the top of the front piece:
…and then make another, this time with the front pleat in place:
I love a nice intense green! I did have to be super careful of grainlines and stitching however, so that the lines ran straight down the front, but I think I didn’t do to badly. Go me!
Then I decided to try something I have been contemplating for a while, ever since I made little Miss S her little dress (or top for when she is older), it is a crossover back dress when they are younger, but when they grow a little, can be used as a top to get a little more use out of it. I thought it might be nice to do it adult sized as a nice breezey top for summer!
So, I took a template of the entire back Sorbetto piece, then freestyled a crossover piece, going from one side seam, swooping up to the opposite shoulder:
In case that’s not clear, I knocked up this little diagram in Paint (because that’s just how technologically advanced I am):
As you can see from the beautiful diagram, the piece goes from the inner right shoulder, to the top of the side seam on the left side, and from the outer right shoulder, to the bottom of the side seam on the left side. In this way, they cross over in the centre giving full coverage of the back.
Cut out my pieces, so front cut on the fold as usual (no pleat this time though, so the fold is placed on the crease line, rather than the fold line), and 2 back pieces cut:
I used some of my stash of fabrics that I was donated by my cousin’s Mother-in-Law, who brought them back from India with her many years ago.
I sewed the pieces together pretty much as usual, at the side seams and shoulders, just with each piece attached at the side seams, then up to the opposite shoulder, then finished the whole lot with a continuous piece of white bias binding:
It’s quite light and airy to wear, which is great for this weather, it could possibly stand to be a little tighter fitting, but I’m not that bothered enough to change it. Perhaps if I make another.
If you want to try it, but are worried about the open back, it has quite a lot of coverage anyway, but you could always add a little fastening to help it stay shut.
Update: I tried it again, with a could of inches off the top of the back piece where it meets at the shoulder seam, shortening the strap, and pulling the pieces closer in:
I like the cross over version! I may have to try it! When I have a spare minute!
Do it. Loving the airy breeziness in this crazy weather we call summer! Both the original and modified versions are really simple to make, just takes time to apply all the binding! X
Such a cool version! Love the modification! Nothing wrong with MS Paint either 😉
Long live MS Paint! I had a couple of friends to stay a couple of weeks ago and we made them both a regular, and modified Sorbetto. One just sent me a message to say she was wearing it at work today!