We put together the furniture for the baby’s room last week (although she will probably sleep in our room for at least the first few months), just a fairly basic crib and changing table from IKEA, along with re-utilising some existing drawers that we have had for a while.
To go with the changing table, we got a couple of VÄDRA changing mats, one for the table, and one extra that we can keep downstairs.
Practical, but very…. blah. The surface is wipe-clean plastic – practical, but probably not so nice for baby’s bottom. They sell covers at IKEA, but they were a) out of stock, and b) ugly, so I decided to make a few covers so we had some backups for in case of….. incidents. First I took a few measurements:
..and created a template from that, which looked a little like this:
The main piece covers the majority of the mat, with some shaping for the raised end of the mat. Close up (plus measurements), it looked a little like this (to cut on the fold):
At the other end, it is not raised, but requires a bit of shaping to accommodate the raised sides, so I cut a separate piece that was sewed to the flat edge:
The seams were all sewn with a 1/2″ seam allowance, but around the base I left 1″ extra, and sewed some 1″ foldover elastic around the base, pulling it slightly taut as I went, except around the corners which I pulled tight.
Yey! A nice bright cover! This one in particular is flannel cotton so should be super soft, and able to be washed easily in case we have any accidents. I also used up some more fabric from my stash to make some extras:
Bright and colourful!
I was working on another crochet octopus, so that Baby M could have one to match her future bestie…. But this week I woke up with total agony in my right hand…… It seems my latest weird pregnancy symptom to come up is Carpal Tunnel, so I now have a stylish wrist brace and will have to take it easy!